The Clinical Risk Manager, under the direction of the Director of Clinical Risk Management, implements and maintains the risk management program for the Health First enterprise (4 hospitals, Medical Group, Outpatient Services, Health Plan) ensuring effective loss prevention/control and compliance with:
- State and federal guidelines; - Health First’s service standards; and - Organizational and strategic priorities.
Within this project manager role, the Clinical Risk Manager is primarily accountable for administering Health First’s risk management program on a day-to-day basis, documenting, managing and analyzing risk management data, conducting proactive risk assessments, providing targeted risk management education, and providing risk management consultation with the objective of promoting patient safety and loss prevention activity to protect organizational assets.
Primary Accountabilities Include:
- Promotes the field of risk management and encourages department associates to seek continuing education so that they remain the industry experts.
-Reaches across the spectrum to work collaboratively with members of the medical staff, administration, patients, visitors, vendors, and regulatory agency personnel to comply with legal and regulatory requirements in a way that is transparent, honest, and respectful.
-Monitors incident reporting system for injuries and adverse incidents.
- Monitors the investigations of adverse events resulting in patient injuries at the direction of General Counsel for the purpose of seeking legal advice and assisting General Counsel with fact finding that is critical to assessing general and professional liability.
- Acts as a conduit between the Office of General Counsel and Health First physicians and staff regarding liability issues.
- Follows the ISO 31000 risk management process: identification, assessment, evaluation, mitigation and monitoring.
- Maintains awareness of internal and external factors (ex: new legislation and regulations) that may affect Health First’s risk management program and communicates relevant findings to the appropriate departments.
- Assists with the development of reports for leadership and the Board of Trustees regarding risk trends and findings analyzed from risk sources, such as incident reports and patient grievances.
- Writes and reviews administrative policies and procedures that fall within Risk Management’s purview.
- Participates in established hospital quality and patient safety oversight committees.
- Routinely identifies risk through review of medical staff peer review issues, patient/family grievances, committee minutes, third party reports, attorney requests for medical records and administrative or associate referrals.
- Work collaboratively with the General Counsel, providing input and assistance with performance improvement activities and support the legal department with ongoing litigation and claims.
- Oversees the management of complaints and grievances in a manner that expresses concern and caring for those who were provided services that did not meet their expectations.
- Supports and encourages a service atmosphere through routine communication and collaboration with key partners, including but not limited to the Office of General Counsel, Quality, Compliance, Medical Staff, Nursing, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in a work-related discipline/field from an accredited college or university, nursing/clinical background required. - Three (3) years related healthcare risk management experience as position of Risk Manager or with primary responsibility for risk management or patient safety activities in an acute care hospital, licensed health care facility, medical group or health insurer. - CPHRM required or obtained within approximately 2 years. - Excellent organizational skills. - Proficient computer skills (ex: PowerPoint, Excel, extracting data and reports).
Internal Number: 043753
About Health First
Health First works alongside other organizations and physicians in our community. Health First donates to the Brevard Health Alliance that provides healthcare services to thousands of underinsured or uninsured Brevard residents otherwise unable to pay for healthcare services.
Our associates are also actively building a healthier community through volunteering for organizations dedicated to preventing and treating health concerns such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease.